This is meant to be a template to showcase any retailer at this shopping center, I used text animation properties and lots of pre-comps. I learned a lot on this project. Music is some Django inspired tune found on freesound.com
I have had a long-standing interest in After Effects, well over 10 years, and only used it a few times. This project was created to pair up with some previously designed backlit ad cabinets. It was displayed on a huge TV screen in a shopping center in DC. The bounce part was done with expressions, it took a while to find the right look.
I love mugshots and ID shots, somewhere I found a collection of ID shots of people who worked on the atomic bomb project in New Mexico in the 40s. This guy’s pic interested me, some research showed that he was German, emigrated to the US to work on the project. Later, he gave secrets to the Russians and spent some time in prison. The pic was hand colored, and composited with an old scan from a Life Magazine ad.
Some more collage-ey things with type and maps and old images.
Playing around with found old type specimens and some other digital stuff, made into a collage of sorts. The type looks alms like it’s on old tissue paper, I love the transparency.
Playing around with a random quote I heard on WTF podcast about Jimi Hendrix, I drew this out on paper, scanned it, drew in Illustrator, and added some textures in Pshop.
Another creative project from The Jealous Curator. The project was to document, in any way you want, the contents of your medicine cabinet. I started to draw the items, hated that. Photographed them in horrible light, I was going to trace them in either Illustrator or ArtRage, but lost interest in that too. Finally, I mucked around w/ them in Pshop, layered them and added color and type. There are three 11×17 designs, all crammed here. The lower part shows some more detail. I have a moderate amount of happiness with these designs. There was some desperation and some happy accidents, and that’s where the magic happens.
An illustration exercise, maybe not all that good. It was random stuff i drew in my sketchbook, then re-drawn in Illustrator and color / texture added in Photoshop. Most all the painting texturing was done on the Surface Pro I have. It still felt lacking, so I added the words on top, these were leftover letters from other LetterMpress projects.
Created for fun, this starts with old magazine scan, painted over in Art Rage, then lots of collage work in Photoshop. Lettering created in LetterMPress. Words from e-horse books, or whatever it was called.
These things make me happy to create: the tar on the street photos, combined with random words, some Gaskell’s quotes and scans and a few other antique images. I love the way the tar looks like brush script. I love the haunted look of the people in the mug shots. I’ve got a few more in mind to do, the files are huge, so maybe I stop after this one.
A while back, I took a skillshare class on using textures for CD covers. It was taught by a guy from Australia, he was quite good, some of his techniques were new to me, and I loved his style. The band I picked was Donna the Buffalo, and I picked their last album to re-create. I didn’t really dig what was done for them before. This cover uses some of their graphic looks, but with my spin on it.